I think I can... I think I can...

I think I can... I think I can...

Friday, March 11, 2011

March 14-18

Butter Braid order forms sent home on Monday (Return Order 3/25/11 and Delivery Date 4/14/11)

Class pictures, Thursday, March 17th (https://my.lifetouch.com/mylifetouch/index.jsf)

End of 3rd Quarter, Friday, March 25th

March 30, 31, and April 1st Parent/Teacher Conferences (On these dates, Grades K-3 will dismiss at 12:00)


Reading and Writing this Week

Reading- Here are a few books we are going to read this week.

  • Too Many Leprechauns, By Stephen Krensky
  • Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato (An Irish Folktale), By Tomie DePaola
  • Clever Tom and the Leprechaun, By Linda Shute
  • I am Generous, By David Parker
  • All About Coins (Dimes), By Kara Kenna and Judy Ostarch

Scholastic Let's Find Out (Children's Magazine)

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3755671 (This is a online version of the children's magazine with videos, games, and printable activities to do at home.)


Writing- Here are a few topics the kids are going to write about this week.

- Using our sense of touch and sight what does the dime feel and look like.

- What are some things you can give away?

- What does it mean to be generous and how can you be generous to others?


Money

Here are a few online games about coins I found for the kids. Have you child try each one out and see what one they like the BEST!!

http://www.sadlier-oxford.com/math/practice/grk/chapter9/countcoins/0009.htm

http://www.hbschool.com/activity/counting_money/

http://www.toonuniversity.com/flash.asp?err=569&engine=

7-11 Objective- identify a nickel and its value; find the value of a nickel and some pennies.

At home ideas- label 10 index cards labeled with values 1 through 10 cents. Have your child pick a card and using pennies and/or nickels show different ways to make the amount on the card (I.e. 6 cents- 6 pennies and/or 1 nickel and 1 penny).

7-12 Objective- identify a dime and its value; find the value of a given set of coins.

At home ideas- Get a pile of coins for your child to sort. Ask him/her about the different attributes of the coins to see if he/she knows the differences between the coins. Display a penny, a nickel, and a dime. Ask which coin is worth 1, 5, or 10 cents.


We Can Give
(If you want to print any books, activities, or pictures from this weeks book, click on the link and it will take you there.)

Example of the Book- "Here are clothes we can give. Here are toys we can give.
"

Words of the week- here, are, give
Review words- look, have, am, do, you, see, the, we, in, for, said, it, like, I, can, on, my, go, a, she, he, is

No comments:

Post a Comment