I think I can... I think I can...

I think I can... I think I can...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 21-25

I found this GREAT math website for kids in Kindergarten and First Grade. There is something for every different child no matter what level he/she is on. CHECK IT OUT!!!



Math This Week

Objective-compare and order containers by their capacity.

At home idea- Find three cups/containers of different capacity. Ask your child which cup/container holds the most (or least). Change the containers and continue with the activity. (“The blue cup holds more than the green cup. The red cup in empty and the tall glass is full.”)

Objective- Estimate and measure capacity using nonstandard units.

At home idea- Hold a measuring cup or spoon of any size and ask your child to estimate how many crackers can fit in the object. After estimating, fill up the container to see how many actually fit inside the container. Change the container and what you are putting into the container to extend the activity. (Ie. “I think 10 crackers will fit in the measuring cup. I found out 15 crackers actually fit into the measuring cup.”)

Objective- Compare and order objects by weight.

At home idea- Give your child 2 objects, such as a Lego and a book, so he/she can compare the weights. Ask your child to tell which is heavier and which is lighter. Change the objects to extend the activity. (Ie. “The rubber band is lighter than the baseball.”)

Reading and Writing This Week

We are discussing what a verb is.

Here are a couple of the big books we will be reading this week:

-I Can Jump- Objective- Students will find verbs ("It's what you can do!") in the story. Students will come up with a list of all the things they can do. Then he/she will write some of the things he/she can or likes to do.

-The Jigaree- Objective- Students will find the verbs in the book ending in -ing.


I Am Helping

Example of the Book- "I am folding the laundry. I am making cookies
"

Words of the week- am, words ending in -ing (ie. folding, making, sweeping)
Review words- do, you, see, the, we, in, for, said, in, we, like, I, can, on, my, go, a, she, he, is

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT math website! Andrew AND his sister have fun playing on it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete